Rustic Zucchini Pizza
This rustic repast is something like a frittata but not quite as eggy; it is cooked in the oven like a pizza rather than on top of the stove. Your hands will get a little messy but the pizza comes together beautifully.Yields Makes two 8-inch pizzas
4 cups coarsely grated unpeeled zucchini or summer squash
Cornmeal for sprinkling
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
20 niçoise olives, pitted and chopped
4 scallions, thinly sliced
2 tsps dried oregano
2 or 3 tomatoes, thinly sliced
½ cup fresh basil, cut into strips
- Place the grated squash in a colander, salt generously, and set aside for 30 minutes. Squeeze out the excess moisture with your hands.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Lightly coat two 11x17-inch cookie sheets with olive oil and sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Then add the zucchini and flour. The mixture should have the consistency of cooked oatmeal; if it’s too sticky, add a little more flour.
- Spread half the mixture on one prepared cookie sheet and half on the other.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until puffed and slightly brown; remove from the oven and reduce the temperature to 350 degrees.
- Combine the mozzarella, olives, and scallions and sprinkle the mixture over each pizza, leaving a ½-inch margin along the edge. Sprinkle with oregano and arrange the tomato slices on top. Scatter fresh basil on top and drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Return to the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.